British GQ Magazine David Hockney Los Angels Map Drawing
British GQ Magazine David Hockney Los Angels Map Drawing. I was approached by an editor for GQ magazine to draw a map of Los Angeles iconic sites. In addition to visual reference within the sketch of David Hockney sites – eg the Museum of Modern Art, LA Louver Gallery and The Hotel Roosevelt.
LA has many well recognized stylized ‘LA’ typographic signage for example like the Beverly Hills hotel, Roosevelt, Hollywood the Hollywood Sign.
I was given a list of other points of interests to include into the LA map which also included, Venice Beach, Lawry’s ‘Prime Rib’ (a nice big piece of Prime Rib was drawn for fun to represent this)
The map was loosely drawn, and a representation of LA, which the client preferred, the full list of the locations for the map drawing are below
Hockney’s Los Angeles
- A Bigger Splash – houses that have been influences of
- Hockney’s Malibu Beach House
- Nicholas Canyon painting by Hockney The Hotel Roosevelt Pool – by Hockney
- Venice Beach (scene of ‘The Meeting’ or Have a Nice Day, Mr. Hockney” by Peter Blake
- LA Louver Gallery; where he’s exhibited in LA.
- Lawry’s in Beverley Hills for a ‘Prime Rib Experience’
- Santa Monic Blvd
- Hockney’s at the Museum of Modern Art in Los Angeles
- My Wagner Driver – a recording he made for the drive from his house made up music that spirals and clashes.
- Cherry red SL 280, Merc Benz – Beverley Hills Car Club to hire